Social Media for Business
Just encase you were not able to make it out to the Small Business Week, we wanted to share some information from the Social Media presentation by the Valley’s own Marcia Johnson. Marcia is co-Owner of Apex Power & Automation and co-Founder of Peace in OUR Lifetime. She is a social media maven who has built over 30 pages and groups online and has global conversations on her radio show with Bullion Bankers, Authors, and Leaders in Social change. She shared with us how she was able to share Global concerts for peace on over 2000 websites including the United Nations website every year on Peace day. She also gave us great information to help all of offer value to our customers and staff through a social media marketing plan.
- · Build a business page. If you do not currently have a Facebook page for your business she suggests building one, it is a great and free way to share, inspire and communicate with current and potential customers and clients. Don’t be intimidated because it is very simple and step by step process. It is like taking baby steps, you just have to take the first one here: www.facebook.com/pages/create.php
- · Create a URL for your business page. If you're an admin of your Facebook Page, you'll be able to choose a username for it at: http://www.facebook.com/username You can choose a username for each eligible Page you manage.
- · Facebook Buttons: Integrate Facebook connect buttons into your company website. https://www.facebook.com/badges Website visitors can easily connect to Facebook with the click of a button.
- · Add Value: Share information about products & services, but don’t spam. Insert an interesting data point into a visual. Find Cartoons about your industry. Take behind the scenes pictures of staff, customers and office happenings. Share videos, like case studies, interviews and quick tips & how-to content. Answer Questions (either posted or FYI)
- · Connect Accounts: To connect your Twitter account and your Facebook profile: http://support.twitter.com/entries/31113-how-to-use-twitter-with-facebook#
- · Posting Tip: When posting information on Facebook & Twitter, add a statement describing the link that you post so that when it shows up on the Newsfeed, it will encourage more people to take action and click the link! On Twitter it simply shows up as a URL, so why would anyone click on it?
Once you have your Page set up and you start adding content and information invite people to “Like” your page. You are invited to share it on the Elk Valley BC page as long as you add a descriptive comment letting people know what your business is about, what you do, who you are and why you are inviting people to check out your page. Just adding a link is the online equivalent of walking up to a total stranger and trying to French kiss them. If you would not do that in real life, don’t do it online by just posting a URL to your website on everyone’s page; that is Spam and just as unwanted!
You can find out more great information about Social Media on another one of Marcia’s pages: https://www.facebook.com/howtosocialmedia If you have any questions about how to start or what to do, post your question there, she will get back to you!
No matter where on earth she is, Marcia is not very far away and is always happy to help, so feel free to connect with her online. Here are just some of her links.
Apex Power & Automation Ltd. http://apexpower.ca
Peace in OUR Lifetime http://peaceinourlifetime.org
Facebook: Marcia Johnson
Radio Show: www.blogtalkradio.com/stock-talk-radio
Sharing Social Media knowledge in order to make life easier and more productive! Humbly, Marcia
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L6BAQ3N_f2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>